Wednesday, April 27, 2011

there's more to the story...

... then what you think you see.

Today sitting in school, a school full of girls mind you, I took a second, sat back, and listened. Sure I heard about hair, I heard conversations about weekends, and shopping and so forth. But what caught my attention was how incredibly judgmental people were being towards someone. Since when do we look down upon someone due to their race, sexual preference, or style? Since when do we give ourselves the right to take one look at someone and peg them with a title? I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I never did this, but hell, who gave ME any right? No one, that's the answer. No one gave us any right to categorize someone, put them into a little box, and put a cruel, demeaning, or scandalous title it to. Not only do we not have the right to do this, but maybe in turn we should look within ourselves to see if we fit into some "category" before judging someone else. I can't tell you how much my heart sank when I heard what people had to say about someone who, to me is such a kind, open, and caring individual whom we just met. He was putting himself out there and people were tearing him down because of one thing; his sexuality. I'm not asking you to believe in it or support it, but why can't people accept it it's 2011 for crying out loud. It caught me so off guard that just because this individual dressed different, had different hair, and was outgoing people were already putting him in some box and pushing it away without knowing them. This isn't just a sexuality thing, it's an everyday thing. What someone is wearing, how someone chose to do their hair, anything that could possibly give someone the chance to say something, and I bet you it has been said. 

Sorry for the rant I was literally just so angry when I saw how people were talking about this person. And of course it was one of those situations where you say something, not even with an attitude, and you're the bad guy because you were standing up for someone. Well, I have no problem taking some shit for someone when I believe in them. I had the pleasure of doing a friends mothers hair this morning who I love dearly. We had amazing conversations about re-enactments and all the amazing things she knows about the past. It reminded me why I love doing what I do. She didn't look at me as someone who was in school, she didn't talk down to me because I was younger, we just talked. And if you know me I love to talk :) I truly hope I get to do her hair again soon. 

This past weekend was Easter and I got the opportunity to finally go up to PA to visit my family. I love when I get to go up there because it doesn't get to happen often. I spent the weekend with Lex and Dev doing random stuff like helping Aunt Karen make these awesome cupcakes...
And taking pictures like these...
Lex :)
and Devvvv :)
and Nick :)

We had an awesome weekend, and ended with Water for Elephants, if you haven't seen it I highly suggest it. It is amazing and makes me want to have grown up back then more then ever!
Well maybe you made it this far I kinda had a long one today but I just hope it you at least read the beginning that you take some time and get to know someone before judging, even if it's just one person.
Stay true, stay you, and as always stay inspired :)
love, tiff.



No comments:

Post a Comment